April 16, 2019- Techstars Boston Accelerator today announced a significant milestone: ten years of operations and growth in service to the Massachusetts’ technology community. From 2009 to 2019, Techstars Boston has played a pivotal role in contributing to the Boston region’s innovation ecosystem, through providing 155 startups access to experienced mentors and a powerful network for capital, business development, and recruitment.
Techstars mentorship-driven accelerator programs invest in founders to help them do more faster. Each year, Techstars Boston works with 10 select startups who are focused on innovation sectors including SaaS, Artificial Intelligence, Marketplaces, and more recently Internet of Things (IoT) technologies. The intensive three-month program culminates with a “demo day” where participating companies present their newly polished businesses to an audience of venture capitalists, corporate innovation leaders, and industry experts. Techstars Boston Demo Day 2019 will take place on May 7, 2019.
The success of Techstars Boston was a key driver in the creation of the now two-year-running Air Force Accelerator Powered by Techstars, another Boston-based accelerator program run in partnership with the U.S. Air Force, BAE Systems, and MD5. Focused specifically on autonomous technology, materials science, and AI/ML, the Air Force Accelerator Powered by Techstars’s demo day will be held on May 16, 2019, at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
“Since 2009, Boston has emerged as one of the best cities in the world in which tech, healthcare, and deep platform companies launch and grow their businesses,” said Clement Cazalot, Managing Director of Techstars Boston since 2017. “Back in 2012, I was an immigrant entrepreneur seeking help to build my startup from a concept into a solid business. Through Techstars accelerator program and connections, we not only secured funding from Boston-based investors Polaris Partners and Accomplice, but we were ultimately acquired by global technology provider Intralinks in just two years. Having seen first-hand how Techstars can significantly contribute to startup success, it’s now my privilege as Managing Director of Techstars Boston to help founders build and scale impactful, high-growth companies”.
Over the past decade (2009 to 2019), Techstars Boston has consistently backed and supported founders as a unique breed of early-stage investor. Techstars Boston acts more like a cofounder to the companies, with its successes over the past decade including:
- Graduating 155 companies from the Techstars Boston program
- Bringing 50 Techstars companies to the Boston region, and calling it home
- Helping 31 Techstars Boston alumni in achieving acquisitions
- Claiming 11 of the Techstars top 50 alumni companies as Techstars Boston graduates, including PillPack, Placester, Localytics, Snyack, Amino, GrabCAD, Zagster, Bevi, Ginger.io, Lovepop, and Kinvey
- Funding to Techstars Boston companies in over $1B
- Cultivating a network of over 1,000 Techstars Boston mentors, including angel investors, venture capitalists, and investment bankers; entrepreneurs including co-founders of Avid Technology, Constant Contact, HubSpot, iRobot, and RunKeeper; as well as leaders from Amazon, Google, TripAdvisor, and local universities such as MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, Babson, and Olin.
- Creation of nearly 3,000 jobs by Techstars companies in the Greater Boston area
- Helping over 75% of Techstars Boston portfolio companies maintain active operating status or achieve acquisition.
Furthering Massachusetts’ as a global hub for innovation, the Techstars portfolio in Boston is comprised of companies ranging from enterprise SaaS – where Boston is a world leader – to artificial intelligence and other deep technology applied to healthcare, cybersecurity, logistics, wellness, finance, and social impact. The portfolio is a representation of Boston’s core strengths as an ecosystem; often representing companies focused on big problems end up driving the future of our society.
About Techstars Boston Accelerator
Techstars Boston Accelerator is a program from Techstars, the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Since its founding in 2009, Techstars Boston has helped startups connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies. With worldwide operations on every continent, Techstars comprises three divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs, and Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships. The global Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,700 companies with a market cap of $19.1 Billion. www.techstars.com
For more information about Techstars Boston, visit https://www.techstars.com/programs/boston-program/#.